Converting our shed into a chicken coop has been a fun DIY project for the hubby and me. It’s definitely a bit of a project, but it’s turing out so great! (Did you see Part One of the transformation?)
In Part Two of this series, these are the things we worked on:
- Framing the chicken run
- Adding electricity
- Installing a roof
- Picking a nesting box design
The big reveal for Part Two is that we choose to paint it white with a dark green trim. I really wanted barn red but the kids told me no way did they want a ‘barn’ in the backyard! I’m really liking the white so it all worked out for the best. It was a super gloomy day when we painted and even started raining so I didn’t get many photos. We just hunkered down and got it painted as quickly as we could.
Where the run was going, we had dug down about 6 inches or so, and laid down chicken wire to keep out… well… anything that wanted to come in. I talked a bit more about that in Part One. Zoe was a great help, as you can see. Once we put the dirt back in, it didn’t pack down as well as we needed so the hubby drove his truck over it a few times. Yep. He did that!
Once that was ready, he framed out sections for the run, added hardware cloth for protection, then connected them all.
You can see some of the chicken wire on the grass coming through from underneath. That was folded up, trimmed and stapled to the frame.
Here’s a shot where you can see the trim color and window boxes we added as well.
Next, the door went in…
We added a spring so the door would always close behind me and so no one could get out. When they do forage, I just use a rock to keep the door propped open, incase they need to run inside quickly.
Next up, the hubby framed out part of the roof so the girls would have some shelter from rain or hot sun. He then added it to the roof of the coop as there really wasn’t much of anything on it when it was a shed. I love the look of the corrugated metal roofs and the sound of the rain on them. Also adds a bit of the farm look, I think.
While I was gone one afternoon, the hubby ran conduit to the shed so we’d have electricity. We really wanted to have an automatic door so this was an awesome addition. (You can also do solar panels but since our house isn’t far from the coop, we choose this route.) Now we have power and a light switch as well. I didn’t think we would need a light, and it’s certainly not necessary… butttttttt… since we do have it, it’s actually pretty great and I’ve used the light on several occasions already.
I decided to get a metal nesting box after doing a ton of research on wood vs metal. I keep it closed off for now until they start laying. I have some fabric ready incase they want privacy when laying. My friends chickens prefer their boxes with a cover, so we’ll see what these girls need when we get to that point.
And here are a few detail shots of one of the finished windows. You can get a better idea of the trim color too. There’s a latch in front that keeps them closed and they stay up with these great hinges.
That’s it for Part Two of converting our shed to a chicken coop. Here is Part One again. Part Three will be all about our awesome automatic coop door! In. Love. Make sure you are subscribed so you don’t miss it!